Wednesday 30 May 2012

Gone Dotty

Happy mid-week, lovelies! It's Wednesday, and On Wednesdays We Wear Pink, so I have a playful polka-dotted pink mani, which I'm actually enjoying wearing more than I thought I would! It's a bit funky, bit retro, bit bright, bit... well you'll see =D. My 'ingredients' looked so cute all lined up last night so I snapped a quick pic. 
From left to right: OPI Sweet Heart, Sparrow Me The Drama, Strawberry Margarita, BYS French White and as always, my Seche Vite top coat. In the back right corner you can see my base coat, Avon Nail Experts 24k Gold Strength peeking out for a bit of attention too. My nails can be really brittle and they split easily and peel sometimes, so a strengthening base coat is a must for me. The 24k one has been a blessing - even my thumb nails have stopped splitting and they've been useless since I don't know when! If you're a polish junkie, a good strong base coat is a must. Having said that, if you're a polish junkie, you already knew that ;-). 
Two coats of BYS French White for my background, then using my second to largest dotting tool I applied my best and brightest pink, OPI Strawberry Margarita, down the centre of each nail. No accent nails today, sorry, I thought these were busy enough on their own! Either side of SM I dotted on Sparrow Me The Drama which I haven't used before, and came out more purple than I would've like but nice effect all the same! Outside-a that came Sweet Heart. You can barely see it, and I would've liked it to've been a bit more obvious, but it works really well IRL despite being darn near invisible in the pics. 
Dots dots dots... and some crappy cuticles...
All topped off with the ever wonderful Seche Vite top coat. I don't know how my nail polish survived before I got this top coat. On many occasions, it didn't. An ultra quick drying top coat is strongly recommended to anyone who has a life, and to those of you who barely do (like me...) it's still a pretty handy tool to have hangin' about.
This is my nearly-empty bottle of Sweet Heart. I used to use it to death as my french pink, but I've moved on to OPI Barre My Soul from the NYC Ballet Collection. BMS is just... Perfect. Just. Perfect. Favourite pastel-y nude of the moment. Surprisingly versatile! Ahem, back to today... So I'm kinda loving the polka dots more than I thought I would, and the $10 I spent on my 5 dotting tolls has more than paid itself off. Can't wait to try this mani with different colours... It's great how a Pink Wednesday mani can inspire a rest-of-the-week mani. 


How about you, do you like the dots or are you "like, totally" over them? Oh, also, white nail polish: for or against? Personally I hate the 'white-out' look but it's a useful base colour under other stuff. Thoughts on white nail polish? Keep checkin' in, babes, more goodies coming soon. =D


- Ally xx