Tuesday 29 May 2012

Sponging and Sparkle and Dots, oh my!

Hello hello, you wonderful people. A late one today, m'fraid. Haven't been feeling my best and brightest for the last couple of days so inspiration's lacking a tad. I've been wearing today's mani since Sunday night, half because I love it and half because I'm always hesitant to take glitter polish off. I'm yet to try the foil method but it may just be the answer to my glitter-polish-removal prayers! While I'm linking, I might just mention the incredible Nailasaurus - a truly talented young lady who is a constant source of inspiration and amazement! Anywho, pics!
The decision to do this mani went something like this: Scene: about 1am, Monday morning.
Me: "Mum, I don't know what colour to do my nails..."
Mum: "I don't know either. I'm just going to do two coats of Tickle My France-y and go to sleep."
Me: "Mum! I can't pick a colour! Help!"
Mum: "What?"
Me: "Pick a colour!"
Mum: "Purple!"
Me: "Okay!"
And the mani was decided. We're so very civilised in this house. Thankfully, my ever amazing mother is almost as nail-obsessed as I am!
On the tips I sponged a gradient with OPI Plugged-In Plum. This surprised me - the colour looks nothing like it does when applied straight. It's a lot wine-y-er than I'm used to from this colour, but I quite like it. The darkish redish purple makes it look quite gruesome in daylight, which is kinda cool. I added 4 dots down the side in receding size in OPI Birthday Babe. It may be useless for stamping, but it's great for dotting! 
Over the top I applied one coat of BYS Starlette for a bit o' sparkly goodness. I find the glitter top coat helps to smooth everything out a bit and hides some of the not so perfect sponged gradient. And it's glitter. Glitter is good. Until you have to remove it... 

It was at this point in my photo taking that my cat Dog decided he was more important than what I was doing, and that he deserved all my attention. Sorry about the terrible focus for these photos, but my camera wasn't prepared for all that fur!
Dog helped me discover that the mani is also tasty. Something I wouldn't have thought of without him. Thanks, Dog. 
Thus concludes the post. How do you usually remove glitter polish? Does the troublesome removal make you think twice about applying it? Ever had a polish that changed colour depending on how you applied it? I'd love your comments, I like to know I'm not alone ;-). Until next time, lovely people!

- Ally xx