Saturday 19 May 2012

More Room for the Blues

Hiya again, and happy Saturday! To continue on from yesterday's blue-ness, today I've got some blue butterfly nails for you. It's a sponge gradient underneath some (very very badly done, sorry) free-hand lines, topped off with white dots for effect. I've previously done this design in orange/red and am not sure which I prefer. We've been raising and looking after some Monarch butterflies here over the Summer, and they're so late in season this year that 2 weeks out from Winter we still have chrysalises! I love the colour in their beautiful delicate wings, and when I stumbled upon this tutorial, I had to try it! So today's manicure is a variation on that. Will post the orange/red version at the bottom so you guys can see which you prefer. Onto the photos!
Sorry again about the really terrible free-handed lines. Watch the tutorial for a MUCH better version! From a bit further away the effect isn't so bad. 

These are the same polishes I used yesterday: OPI I Vant To Be A-Lone Star, the mini Miki polish No. 24 for lack of a better name, and BYS Drop In The Ocean. I painted on the lightest blue as my base colour, 3 coats, then using a cheap make-up sponge wedge sponged the medium blue over it about two thirds up the nail, let that dry and sponged the darker blue on just the last third of my nail. The black lines are in BYS Black Satin, and the white dots (of which there are meant to be bigger and smaller ones) in OPI Alpine Snow - my favourite go-to white for everything from dots to french tips. Everything finished off with a coat of Seche Vite, my brand new quick-drying top coat! I know so many bloggers and nail artists who swear by it, and it definitely lives up to the hype! Such a quick dry.
I left my right hand clear of the lines, mostly because it was late-ish and I knew they weren't going to go well. I am not ambidextrous. Actually don't mind them plain at all, but if I was going to keep them I'd add a blue glitter like OPI Last Friday Night over top to smooth everything out.
You can see little clumps of the sponge on my ring finger that I forgot to take off before top coating. Oops!
 Close up shot of the least drunken looking lines. 
And here's the promised shot of the orange/red original. This was before I bought myself a brush, so I did all the lines with a dotting tool! Rather time consuming, especially with my non-dominant hand! Also added a pink shimmer over the gradient that's absent in the new blue one. This shot was taken inside at night so my hand is leaning towards The Simpsons in hue, but you get an idea of the mani. 
And a comparison. What do you guys think? Blue or orange work out better? 

And that's it from me for today! Gonna go take my wings off and pick a mani for tomorrow... Hmmm...
Thanks for stopping by! =D

- Ally xx